SMC Vacancy Filled

Soon after the AGM, Debbie Grull gave notice that she was unable to take up her position on the SMC. A decision was made, under Rule 21.7, to offer the position to the next person on the pre-AGM ballot. The Returning Officer provided the information - Trent Huxtable. Trent has accepted the appointment and attended the meeting held on 13 March. Trent brings much knowledge with him and it’s hoped that he will take up a suitable role with specific responsibilities.

21.7    If a casual vacancy occurs in the office of ordinary committee member, the committee may appoint a member of the Association to fill the vacancy until the conclusion of the annual general meeting next following the date of the appointment.

Reduced Day Membership fee for Juniors

As from 18 March 2019, the Day Membership fee for Juniors will be reduced to $15.

This brings the Adult to Junior Day membership fee ratio to about the same as for Full Membership.

The purpose of the reduction is to make that first step into endurance $20 easier.

———— TEERA SMC - working to get more bums on saddles.

AERA Annual General Meeting

 NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

 The Annual General Meeting of Australian Endurance Riders Association Incorporated will be held on Saturday 16th of March 2019 at 8.30 am at Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport, 265 Mickleham Road, Tullamarine,  Melbourne in the state of Victoria.

Business:

 1.            To confirm the minutes of the last preceding annual general meeting.

2.            To receive and consider the Management Committee’s report and the Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2018.

 3.            To appoint ordinary members of the Committee.

 4.            To elect office bearers of the Association.

 5.            To receive and accept nominations of honorary members.

6.            To appoint a public officer, honorary veterinarian and legal advisers as deemed relevant.

 7.            To appoint an auditor.

 8.            To transact any other business that may be brought forward in conformity with the rules of the Association.

 Please notify the Secretary if it is your intention to attend the meeting.

 By order of Management Committee

Kim Moir

Secretary

23 February 2019

 

2019 TEERA SMC

Full details on the new SMC will be published over the next few days. There’s much to do to bring the newbies ‘on line’. Of immediate importance, especially given the start of a membership year and rides starting in February, are arrangements for membership renewals and log books etc.

Memberships - Pat Lamprey will be taking a well deserved rest when Tara Nicklason takes over the reins once the necessary arrangements are in place. Pat has graciously offered to keep things moving until we’re sorted. So, for now, continue as before.

Logbooks - Jill Hawks will continue to look after this portfolio until the path is in place for Raelene Smith to take over. Jill will have her hands full in her new role as Secretary immediately but will guide Raelene until she is ready to take over.

More follows soon.

Planned Introduction to Endurance Day

When - 9.00 a.m. 23 February 2019

Where - Pat & Dicky Lamprey’s property, Smith & Others Road, Sassafras

Organiser and Contact - Rebecca Ainslie - 0428 286 699 (Please contact Rebecca if there’s other topics you’d like to know more on. Hang back if you have queries on arrangements. A bit more to do on these yet.)

What is to be covered

  • Type of horse and correct age

  • Training - when to start - how much - how consistent

  • What tack is appropriate

  • Saddle fitting, different saddles for demo... some relaxation techniques.

  • rugging horse and rider

  • Feeding... pre, during and post..... banned substances

  • Hoofcare, shoes or barefoot?

  • What to pack

  • Getting to camp horse declaration forms

  • Setting up appropriate yards and camp

  • Pre entry

  • Vet process

  • Pre ride briefing

  • Starting the ride

  • Etiquette during the ride

  • Across the finish

  • Strapping process

  • Vetting process post ride

  • Vetting horse possibly most common complications

  • What to have in basic first aid kit

  • Costs

  • Entry fee

  • Membership

  • Insurance

  • TEERA and AERA website info

TEERA State Management Committee (SMC) Election

At the Annual General Meeting, to be held at 4.00 p.m.on 19 January 2019, the membership of the new SMC will be decided. It was agreed at the 2018 AGM that a system would be put in place to enable TEERA members not at the AGM to vote for SMC members, when a vote was necessary i.e. when there were more nominees than positions available.
The term of five of the current SMC members will end. Eight nominations were received by the closing date. They were:

  • Blaine Astell

  • Greg Cowan

  • Mark Dunn

  • Debbie Grull

  • Trent Huxtable

  • Melissa Kelly

  • Pat Lamprey

  • Tara Nicklason

Voting is available to members by emailing, or mailing, the names of FIVE of the nominees to the Database Registrar - Pam Shadbolt -

by email to phags@bigpond.com

or by post to 44 Merseylea Road, Merseylea 7305

The order of names is immaterial but there must be five.

Votes must arrive no later than 11 January 2019 and include the voter’s TEERA membership number..

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS THE ONLY FORM OF VOTING AVAILABLE. THERE WILL BE A MOTION PUT AT THE AGM TO ADOPT THE RESULTS OF THE BALLOT AS THE ELECTION OF THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

THIS NOTICE, PLUS A SIMILAR ONE ON THE TEERA FACEBOOK PAGE, IS THE ONLY NOTICE TO BE GIVEN. IF YOU KNOW A MEMBER WHO DOES NOT ROUTINELY VISIT EITHER OF THESE SITES, PLEASE BRING IT TO THEIR ATTENTION.

Did you know?

TEERA has a first aid kit, including an AED - Automated External Defibrillator, which goes to each ride.

LOG BOOKS - THINK AND ACT - a request from the Registrar

Please plan ahead and get your Logbook related applications in early. There seems to be a small number of members who regularly leave things until the last minute, needing special arrangements to be made to get the documents back in time for a ride.

In future, books, stickers etc. will normally only be sent out by post.

The latest posting to be in time for the Tom Quilty will be Wednesday 26th September. So, the latest that applications can be in the hands of the Registrar is Tuesday 25th September.

There's probably people who may need to substitute a horse which might not have been registered this year, or the log book is full or nearly full. This may be an issue as the Quilty uses two pages.

Having another go.

Last month the TEERA SMC tried to bring on board some more resources to move TEERA in the direction voiced by a small number of members. So far, very little has been achieved. Only one member has put up her hand. That could be because most members are happy for things to continue as they are or because we didn’t shout loud enough. So, here’s a second shout.

The information hasn’t changed. It was published here about a month ago. The bones of it is that we wish to set up some sub-committees to move things forward, in the direction some have said we should be going and the SMC agrees it would be good to go. To do so needs ideas and work. Your elected SMC is fully engaged, to different levels depending on personal circumstances, keeping your business on the rails. We understand that other members are giving all the time they have for endurance riding, by making rides happen for others to enjoy.

There must be others who could spare some time to help in moving Tasmanian endurance riding in the right direction. We need to hear from members interested in finding the best track and coming up with a way along it, especially looking at:

1. Development of a TEERA Mission Statement and
1 and 5 year goals
2. Annual Dinner
3. Awards
4. Youth Development Program
5. TEERA teams
6. Storage, maintenance and transport of ride equipment

Your TEERA Secretary (along with lots of other jobs), Pat Hodgetts is waiting to hear from you, saying you are available and which of the above is of interest. Time is running short for some of these issues.

Whilst we’re at it, we also asked that those with either a first aid ticket or a chain saw licence let the web master know. That’s so ride organisers will know they have resources available if needed. The response so far has been only from SMC members.

Contact details for Secretary and Webmaster are available on the Contacts page..

I look forward to hearing of your interest.

Wendy Rand
TEERA President

First-aid and Chainsaws

To assist ride organisers in meeting risk management requirements, TEERA would like to generate and maintain lists of members holding either a

  • current first-aid certificate - Provide first aid (HLTAID003), previously known as Senior or Level 2, or higher

or a

  • chainsaw operators certificate - AHCMOM213 Operate and maintain chainsaws, or equivalent.

If you have either of these qualifications and would like it made known to ride organisers, please email web@teera.asn.au with details including, in the case of first-aid, the expiry date of your certificate.

Thanks

Outcomes of Financial Matters and Strategic Planning Meeting Held at ETC Elizabeth Town 23 June 2018

1     Meeting

This meeting, open to all clubs and members, was attended by SMC members and seven others – Graham Bucknell, Greg Johnson, Tracy Nutting, Shayne Williams, Andrew Miles, Seline Lee, and Laurie Nicolle.  Three written submissions were also received; from Tara Nicklason, Mark Dunn and Pam Shadbolt.

A range of matters, suggestions and ideas were discussed. Some were rejected by the meeting for various reasons. Others were promoted for further considerations and others modified to be worthy of consideration.

2     Follow Up

At the following SMC meeting, held 11 July, all matters were again reviewed, taking into account

  • the views expressed at the ETC meeting
  • practicality
  • cost and affordability
  • availability of the necessary resources, both financial and human
  • the objectives of the exercise, which were to

1.      Reduce the cost of membership;

2.      Reduce the cost of running and thus entering rides;

3.      Reduce the work associated with running a ride;

4.      Improve the sense of member representation.

An early issue identified was that expectations of the SMC's capability were not realistic, in that additional work on top of that already involved is not possible.  As a whole, the committee is fully, if not over extended already.  Individually, the work loads , capabilities and time available vary greatly. In some cases, the work load of combined SMC and other endurance related tasks is not sustainable.  The effect of this will be felt at the end of the year when five SMC members will be at the end of their two year term and may choose, or have chosen, not to renominate.

To recognise this situation, but to have a way ahead, it was decided that positions on several sub-committees will be offered.  These sub-committees will develop and recommend the way ahead, including how the objectives will be achieved, plus identifying and gaining the agreement of the necessary and competent resources.  The work of some needs to start in the very near future to meet time constraints.

 3     Sub-committees

Volunteers are sought for the following sub-committees and should be notified to the Secretary;

1.       Development of a TEERA Mission Statement and 1 and 5 year goals

2.       Annual Dinner

3.       Awards

4.       Youth Development program

5.       TEERA teams (information will be provided separately).

4     Objectives

Re. Objective 1 – Reduce the cost of membership, it was decided that the TEERA take of membership charges should not be reduced if member services were to be maintained.

Re. Objective 2Reduce the cost of running and thus entering rides

a)      From 2019 the payment of ride insurances by TEERA would be extended to cover all rides, from currently covering a club’s second and subsequent rides each year.  This will be an interim measure and its life depend on available funds.

b)      Provision of a ‘gazebo’ to each club – need to know how universal is the need, size, walls etc. before further consideration.

c)       Toilets and lighting – TEERA provision not practical due to maintenance and transport requirements. Hiring best organised and cost negotiated by clubs.

d)      Vet payments – best arranged and negotiated by clubs.

e)      “Special’ rides, e.g. themed rides or promotional/training rides.  Very likely that TEERA would financially support such initiatives undertaken by clubs, given proposals in writing.

f)       Clubs seeking financial support to meet unexpected shortfalls associated with low entry numbers can approach TEERA for assistance.

Re.Objective 3 – Reduce the work associated with running a ride – the subject of much discussion, some of which is ongoing.  The work associated with organising a ride has increased significantly, including due to greater risk management requirements,  land owner demands and biosecurity needs. The introduction of more technology has changed the nature of some of the work, narrowing the pool of volunteers.

a)      Resolved to provide each club with a set of scales and a clock to avoid having to move from ride to ride.  Level of cost assistance to be reviewed when quotes available.

b)      Trailer to store and transport ride equipment, with potential to equip and use as a ride ‘office’.  Much debate on the pros and cons of this proposal, mainly due to the concern about having to arrange for the trailer to be transported between ride sites and/or its ‘home base’.  Needs to be considered with the ongoing storage and maintenance of ride equipment, which will need to change before the end of the year recognising  the change of SMC members and associated circumstances.  This is likely to be a significant cost which needs to be resolved before committing to other expenses.

Objective 4 - Improve the sense of member representation.

Video conferencing for meetings. The small number of current SMC members who may have the knowledge to organise facilities are fully engaged at meetings. It would require additional resources.  Basic telephone conferencing is available and can be arranged, given notice of intention to ‘attend’ a meeting, via the Secretary.  If the need arises with the election of a geographically separated SMC, that SMC can organise remote conferencing.

Meetings at e.g. Campbell Town.  Little support for this proposal due to past experience when group transport arranged from the North West, with considerably greater time involved, then there being minimal attendance from elsewhere.  May change with SMC changes.

Electronic/postal voting – a commitment has been made to do this in one or more forms.  A number of issues need to be considered.

a)      A ballot is only necessary if there are more nominations than positions to fill.  The Rules require that nominations to be made 30 days in advance. This is commonly extended due the lack of nominations.  This extension could not be the case, given the set up time for remote voting, whichever method is used.

b)      There is a small but vocal minority wanting postal voting. This is a costly and resource heavy alternative which will be made available on an individual basis on prior request.

c)       The current concerns regarding the role of the SMC, and pressure directed at individual members, may determine that SMC members have a broader skill set and meet greater demands.  This may make it more difficult to fill positions appropriately.

5     Other items for attention

  • Ride calendar – three weeks between rides where possible.  Some ride venues have restricted availability which may determine occasional ‘out of sync’ scheduling.
  • Availability of AED (Automatic External Defibrillator) at rides - Purchased and available.
  • Availability of first-aiders and chainsaw operators – list of qualified people to be established and maintained.  Webmaster to organise list.
  • Mentoring program for new riders – felt that the club running a ride was usually short of resources so mentoring needs to be external. Volunteers to be sought and, if suitable, included on a list contactable by clubs.  Volunteers to contact the TEERA Secretary.
  • Inclusion of a volunteer availability section on membership form – when this was the case, only two people completed the section.

Good Form and Bad Form

Like the rest of the world, TEERA forms don't stand still.  PLEASE DON'T USE OLD FORMS. They make life difficult.  There is one source for current forms - this TEERA web site, from the FORMS page.  Most, if not all, AERA forms can also be obtained from links on the same page.

If you have stocks of forms, please check they are current by comparing with the equivalent one on this site. If not the same, use them for scrap or note paper and download a current form.

Many thanks

One of your paper pushing servants.

OPEN MEETING FOR  TEERA  MEMBERS AND CLUBS

Sat 23rd June , 2018 at ETC from 11am to 1pm

 

SUBJECT: Financial matters and Strategic Planning

 

Remember the successful breakfast meeting we held at Gowrie Park a couple of years ago.

Your SMC now feel it is time to have another session where all members and Clubs can have an open discussion as to how best the SMC can support members and Clubs with financial and any other matters.

Topics for discussion include--

1. The rising cost of Public Liability and Personal Accident insurance for Teera, Clubs and members are high on the concerned list and AERA are continually negotiating with insurance companies for our best outcome. To offset these costs some fees are now charged by event rather than once per year ie user pay.

2. Where do your membership fees go???

3. What benefits do you get for your membership payments???  Can these be reduced???

4. How much does Teera subsidise riders or Clubs at the moment?

5. How best to utilise Teera accumulated funds??? Suggestions of porta-loos, ride trailer

6.  Annual awards--- What do members want and how much to spend??

7.  On-line /Direct banking. Teera have progressed with this and Roger has done a great job to get it up and running. Open for questions etc

 

Please advise Teera Secretary of other matters you would like discussed so an agenda can produced prior to the meeting.

 

Pat Hodgetts,  pat.hodgetts@gmail.com